January 11, 2006

Going strong

Hi all. I am currently writing from Addis Ababa to give a last account of the A13I events on the field (at least for now!).

I just compiled the results of a survey I gave to the Rafigui members, and I am glad to announce that they all felt as good as we did about the training FMM provided. We are also proud (and bewildered) to announce that we went beyond our expectations by giving more than 40 hours of workshop, writing a 20 page French guide about open source software and leaving Rafigui with 5 computers, a digital camera, a USB key and a printer. I am also glad to announce (!! I am out of vocabulary) that a new issue of Rafigui is on the market starting today! 250 F cfa anyone interested!

Our last week is N Djamena was of the most colourful and the most puzzling. I had the best time just observing people around me and discovering new parts of town. We were splitting our time between hard work and cultural and social events with the Rafigui people, which are amazing folks; they are moved by an uncommon drive.

After talking to several people from the media and hitting the newspapers myself, we became more and more aware of how the conflict is evolving with Sudan. It was so live to witness big political summits going on in the city about that and hearing that the police was making raids at night for sending young unemployed people to war. In a sense, we were shielded in the most quiet neighbourhood of the city and talking about technology that most Chadians will never come close to know, unfortunately... We were not really affected by the events (besides the fact that by 7 pm everybody wanted to go home!), but still. It brought us to reflexion.

Yesterday we had a press conference in which we exchanged attestations, gifts and goodbyes. I was very sad (obviously...) but I was cheered up by the enthusiasm that everybody had to continue being involved with us in the future. In fact, Rafigui will be providing training to other youth newspapers on ICT and the media, and since they are really excited about the open source technology (you would be thrilled to see how everything they do is team and discussion oriented - much more democratic than in Canada!), I am confident that it will take them somewhere unexpected.

We have good threads for the research, and we are looking forwards to look into the future possibilities for open source and the media, a combination that can make terrific positive change.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Chan said...

Many congratulations, Emanuele and Wojciech!

I am most impressed with all the accomplishments in such a short period. I am sure this is a great seed you have planted and I hope the Rafigui group will continue to nurture this.

I look forward to hearing all the details and seeing the pictures when you two returned.

Have a safe trip back.

Leslie

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Félicitations!

Vous avez accompli beaucoup dans des circonstances difficiles .. et vous avez partagé les moments intenses que vit actuellement le Tchad.
Bon séjour en Ethiopie.

Jacques

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saying hello....

I'm so happy to hear that things are going well and that you were able to reach your goals - Congrats!

I'll see you back in Scarborough :)

Nicole

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.
Just wow. :)
I'm glad, and proud of you guys.
Just to quote Emanuele in the very first post of this blog : ''We feel we made today the beginning of a life-changing journey.'', it obviously is a life-changing journey.
I can't wait to see you again, dear beloved friend.
I know you both have a great experience, and this is, for sure, an amazing adventure.

xxx

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home