December 28, 2005

Late Night Linux

Wow... Talk about unlucky break. We've been battling with a Dell computer here for a few days now. It has been donated by a French organization, and I am installing Fedora Core 4 on it. If it wasn't for the System Restore CD. But now I know it's possible to install -- it's just taking a long time. Why? Well... Last night it didn't work until I fixed a partition problem with the aforementioned CD. This morning, we had no electricity for a few hours (this may be a regular problem). After the electricity returned, we ran workshops, and then I left Fedora Core to install while we went to see a movie (most of it is automatic). When I returned, the computer was turned off (probably an electrical surge). Then I started again. These installations take up to three or four hours, as the computers are old. Sure enough, with 15 minutes left into the installation, we had to pack up to leave. I could have stayed (and am staying there now)... Why? Not because I'm waiting for 15 minutes to pass, but because I pulled out the plug and shut down the computer. Now I'm doing a lighter installation that should be done soon.

Here's another interesting tidbit about cell phones, which I seem to be obsessed about. There is a cell phone ring that sounds like fairy music, and this ring is everywhere, literally. In North America, this ring is heard when people turn off their cell phones (apparently, some phones don't have an option to silence it). I've heard it in economics class, at IBM, and have talked to quite a few people about how annoying it is. Sure enough, it's in N'Djamena as well. We saw a movie today and believe it or not, in a sandy, open-air theatre with a tree growing in the middle, with a large part of the audience standing, and with a smaller part of the audience driving motorcycles inside the actual theatre (it's really just a field with a wall around it), I heard the cell phone tune.

I'll leave it for you to decide if this is globalization at its finest, or a North American pest following me around as I try to install Linux on old computers.

And just to show how well our first workshop went, here is a photo taken and uploaded by Denis, one of the students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home